Sunday, July 27, 2008

Common Grounds - We're all the same.

"In the end we’re all the same." – Ben Kweller, Rock Musician


We are all the same.
On a physical level, we’re all the same. God made us of flesh and in the end we die. Our hearts stop beating and our lungs fail to rise and fall. Game over. There is no advantage in wealth, privilege, fame, popularity, notoriety, wisdom or education. Modern medicine might delay the inevitable but nothing can change our fate.


All the hours spent at work and school can’t save us. All the stuff we labored to accumulate amounts to nothing. As they say, "you can’t take it with you." Yet, we race around working overtime so we can have more stuff: a new car, a boat, the latest gadgets, a sparkling new kitchen. Will our new toys bring us satisfaction or leave us unfulfilled and wanting more? Are we so intent on our next purchase that we forget to enjoy what we already have?


‘"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless." What does man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun? Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.’ Ecclesiastes 1:2-4 captures Solomon’s struggle to find the meaning of life. If death is the end, where can we turn for true meaning and purpose in our lives?


We are not all the same.
Through faith in Christ Jesus we know that the end to our temporary assignment on earth is really the beginning of our permanent mission in eternal life. By the grace of God and the power of Jesus’ sacrifice we are redeemed. Only those among us who believe will be saved. In addition, our daily lives on earth become richer through our faith and our growing relationship with the Lord. Jesus said, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10 KJV)


A friend asked me this week why I bother going to church. I did my best to share the joy and warmth I felt in worship and fellowship. He agreed that he was a big fan of warmth and joy; he finds all the warmth and joy he desires in sleeping late on Sunday morning. My friend is not interested in church, yet it seems he thirsts for something more.


Jesus has commissioned us to share his joy, his word and his way. As Jesus instructed the Samaritan woman at the well, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. (John 4:13-14) Our faith in Christ ensures that our death is not the end. How do I share this good news with my friend?


When the Athenians asked Paul, "You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we want to know what they mean,"(Acts 17:20), they opened the door to dialogue. They invited further discussion and explanation. Likewise, my friend asked another question. It was an invitation of sorts: "What if you are wrong?"


Do you know someone so afraid of being wrong or fearful of looking stupid that they refuse to believe? "What if you are wrong?" You can tell he is seeking. There is hunger for understanding and thirst for wisdom in such a question. I offered the simplest of replies; "what if I am right?"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Charlie and I'm 9 years old. This quote reminded me of a song I sang in school this year.

Don't Laugh At Me:


I'm a little boy with glasses, the one they call a geek
a little girl who never smiles cuz I got braces on my teeth
and I know how it feels to cry myself to sleep

I am that kid on every playground, whose always chosen last
I'm the one who is slower than the others in my class
You don’t have to be my friend if it's too much to ask

Don't laugh at me, don't call me names
Don't get your pleasure from my pain
In God's eyes we're all the same
some day we'll all have perfect Wings
Don’t laugh at me

I'm a cripple on the corner
You pass me on the street
I wouldn't be out here begging if I had enough to eat
and don't think I don’t notice that our eyes never meet
...

Don't laugh at me, Don't call me names
Don't get your pleasure from my pain
In God's eyes we're all the same
Someday we'll all have perfect wings
Don’t laugh at me

I'm Fat, I'm thin
I'm Short, I'm tall
I'm deaf, I'm blind
Hey aren't we all

Don't laugh at me, Don't call me names
Don't get your pleasure from my pain
In God's eyes we're all the same
Someday we'll all have perfect wings
Don't laugh at me

Written by Allen: Shamblin and Steve Seskin
Performed by Mark Wills

Anonymous said...

Our former parish (LCMS) had it exactly backwards...conform to the way "we" (they) do things or leave. And most folks did including our family...once 2300 souls in 1963 and down to 600+ today they just don't "get it"! As newer members of HCLC, I just want to remind the parish members of how blessed we are to have leadership with such a wonderful vision for the lost, the seeking and the "different" amongst us. Some churches even refuse Communion to those of other Christian/Lutheran synods and thankfully, HCLC practices Holy Communion as both Jesus instituted it and Paul and Luther were further inspired to expound on it. As Christians, we must embrace the "different" and leave our personal comfort zones for the cause of Christ. Nothing less will do as we are taught and inspired every week of the year! Praise God.

Anonymous said...

I think as Christians we need to respect unbelievers or those who are different and always be ready to speak the truth in love to them. When we talk of Christ we need to be clear not only of God's unsurpassing love for us, but of the need for true repentance in order to be saved. Many unbelievers are blind to their own sin. Paul concluded his preaching at the Areopagus with this: "In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everwhere to repent. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31) NIV.

Paul didn't soften his message in order to embrace the Athenians. Most rejected him, but a few became followers.

Anonymous said...

I always feel so "fulfilled" when I attend services at HCLC. No one asks, "Are you a stranger here." I feel welcomed and joyful to be an accepted part of your community, the community of Christ. And I feel "humbled" in the sense of being a part of something greater than myself, in awe of His greatness and power and love. Yes, the same "love" that is felt in the smiles of the parishioners, the "warmth" of their devotion and their "acceptance," no, their "determination" to serve Christ's wishes of honoring the least of us.

Anonymous said...

I love the way as christians we are all one. We are a congregation...a small group...a youth ministry. We share a common bond...or "ground" persay and its amazing different the world looks when you are all looking through the same pair of glasses. I worked country thunder this year... as i have many years and its amazing how in a place where there is so much sin we can just sit around a campfire and gaze at the stars talking about our faith and what it means to us. It was the best feeling I have had in a long time. It makes me so excited to be attending a christian university. Hales Corners Lutheran Church installed in me a feeling thats indescribable and a closeness to God that I have never known.

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie!

Thanks for sharing this song with us. If I remember correctly, school classrooms and playgrounds can be tough! What a great reminder for us grownups, too. You know what, Charlie? It really doesn't change when you grow up...the same problems are there, they just are wearing bigger clothes! What a wonderful witness for Jesus you will continue to be throughout your life, if you let that song remain in your heart.

Thanks for the reminder, young Charlie - and may God's blessing also remain on you.

Peg

Anonymous said...

Hey Peg! Thanks for your nice compliment of the song. I hope you can share it with others and also share the word of Jesus. Thanks again, From Charlie

Anonymous said...

When I go to HCLC I feel so content and overjoyed, it is a home to me and like Brit said we are a close group...a family almost. I have such a strong bond and friendship with the people there. While attending the church services, I feel peace, and even if I go to the same sermon three times, each time I get something new from it. HCLC has strengthed my faith so much, and is like a home to me.

Anonymous said...

I know alot of people who avoid churches because they felt unwelcomed or we're turned off by something they saw or heard. I've brought a few out-of-town guests to HCLC who said, "If there were a church like this near my home, I would go" or "I see why you like to come to church". I laways try to encourage them to persevere and seek a welcoming church home. Never give up.