Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Stuff that Counts


It’s always exciting when someone leaves a comment on my blog. Any comment is cause for celebration; someone has read my blog and heard the good news. I don’t know what I expected when I started. I had fantasies of being discovered, starting of community of followers who awaited each message as a chance to write in and share with each other.

I thought of each message as a catalyst to a broader conversation. I agonized over each post, spending hours on each, scrutinizing each word or turn of phrase. In short, I worried what you would think.

The comments were spotty at first. Friends sent words of encouragement. My mom wrote a few anonymous comments (her maternal perspective is easy to spot.) But where was the witty debate? Where was the intellectual repartee? One day a worship leader stopped me at church to share how much he enjoyed my blog when it dawned on me, I am literally preaching to the choir.

I searched for ways to track traffic on the site, ultimately adding a counter. I became obsessive checking the counter to see if anyone had visited. I added a short-hand comment code so visitors could rate the post as “interesting”, “helpful” or “meh?” My husband added a link to this site from a Disney discussion board and anticipated a huge surge in “hits”. I regret to share that he was wrong.

Tempted to give up and focus my energies on other projects, I prayed for guidance. I was reminded of one of my early posts. It had started an important conversation that had occurred off-line. Someone close to me reached out by phone to comment on my blog. He rarely sets foot in church and is uncertain of his faith. My words had started a dialogue that I hadn’t previously dared to open.

After reading your comment today, I visited this site, my anticipation mounting to see the new total on the counter. What happened? Where did it go? I fiddled with the computer settings for a few minutes before I realized the meaning. The number of hits on the site is not what counts. I’m not writing this for me, or even for you, dear reader. I write for the glory of God. If I bring one new believer to Him or strengthen one faltering relationship, every effort is worthy.

Your comments are always valued and welcome.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. (Colossians 3:23 – 24).

2 comments:

tabrandt said...

You have me hooked and yes, I do wait and watch for each and every new post. Deep down I think you have always had the right motivation but you like most of us look to have our efforts somehow validated. Thank-you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking in. You keep me going. We all need to connect with people who help us recharge and help us run the race with perseverance.