Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Risk Worth Taking

There is a man I know. I’ve known him since he was a small boy. He has overcome many obstacles and taken many risks on the way to becoming the man he is today. Looking at a man’s life, it’s easy to see that risk taking is not always good. There are risks taken on a dare or to please peers or risks taken out in rebellion. We’ve all made mistakes that we regret.

Last year, Stephen Kapusta took a bold risk in the name of the Lord. In his passion to unite local churches in his community of Celebration, Florida, he dreamed big. The Lord led him to plan and promote a fall festival bringing together the seven churches of various denominations in his town. There were skeptics who warned he would never overcome the infighting. There were critics who minimized his vision and passion. He gave endlessly of his time and energy to accomplish the goal, not his goal but a mission and purpose from God to unite the community and celebrate together the gift of God’s love. The cost of this event was immense. His budget spiraled and eventually reached $34,000. With donations barely trickling into his website, how would he pull off the event? He took a huge risk and a leap of faith and leveraged the equity in his house as collateral for the funds he needed. He literally “bet the house.”

We all take risks in our lives. Life on our planet is inherently risky. Beyond the everyday chances we take flying in a plane or crossing the street or investing for retirement, there are risks we take that have eternal significance.

There are families that courageously open their home to a foster child. Putting aside their uncertainties and worries, these families place their trust in God. They rely on God to provide the patience and compassion to unite their families in His love.

We take risks at work. A woman offering products samples in the market last week turned bravely and sweetly to my daughter to affirm, “never forget how much Jesus loves you.” Was this against store policy? How did she know we would graciously accept her blessing? She didn’t, but she willingly took the risk in the name of Jesus Christ.

In the words of John Ortberg, “greatness is never achieved through indecision.” As we step out in our faith, we put or values into action. Opportunities abound to serve, support, and share of your gifts and talents.

I’ve taken many risks in my life. I’ve made some poor decisions. Yet, as I look back on my life, the risks not taken haunt me the most. I wish I had been brave enough to talk to that girl who was getting too thin. I regret that fear of conflict kept me from addressing a cousin struggling with addiction. Now it is too late.

“I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body.” (Philippians 1:20). I would rather take a risk in God’s name than spend any more of my life with regret for opportunities lost.

As for the Fall Faith Festival, God always provides. More than 2,500 community members came together to celebrate and share the joy they have in Christ. In the end, when the donations were tallied, they had raised $34,500. By the grace of God, they had a surplus of $500 to use toward this years festival, which was renamed, Faith Forward. It’s a valuable reminder to all that when we accept risks in the name of the Lord, our faith will always move us forward.

No comments: