Monday, March 16, 2009

Actions Speak Louder

The shrieking voices came from my bedroom. I had sent the kids up to watch some TV before bed so I could take a quick phone call. “What happened to all our channels?” screamed Charlie. “How can we live without channel 154?” pleaded Julia. All stations to DEFCON 3, we were in crisis mode.

After reassuring the kids that we could survive the night with only 99 TV stations, I tucked them into bed, and started my diagnosis. It seems that after Sean left the cable company for his new job, they shut-off our services.

My husband offered detailed instructions on how the remedy the situation. He told me the precise model number of cable box to request, the package to order, the salesman to consult. Jotting the details down, I had everything I needed to race into action and solve our entertainment crisis.

I was still feeling sick, so the rush to fix the TV dilemma was pushed off, day after day. Soon it became less worrisome and only at odd moments, near bedtime, did we miss our extra 673 channels. Another week went by. Busy with my own agenda, the days passed and I neglected the task that meant so much to my kids.

We’re told that “it’s the thought that counts.” Yet, if you’ve ever been on the receiving end of your husband saying, “I thought about bringing you flowers” or your child sharing, “I thought about cleaning my room”, or a friend adding “I thought about calling you last week”, you know actions speak volumes and thoughts count for little. I’m guilty myself of offering the lame, “I thought about making you a home-cooked meal”.

“Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice.” (Philippians 4:9)

God calls on us to fulfill His agenda, not ours. I was reminded this week that God has a plan, and I play a part. Doing His work involves action, putting it into practice.

When it comes to loving one another, and serving the needs of our community, actions speak louder than words and intentions. I have errands to run, people to call, and dinner to plan. It’s God’s work, done with a loving and generous spirit.

What will you “put into practice” today?

2 comments:

Jessica Kendall said...

My focus this week is gentle, not judgemental.

4th grade homework puts me to the test but I will do my best to encourage and uplift rather than discourage and denigrate. Putting it into action mean being calm, smiling patiently and repeatign things like, "you can do it, you're getting it, hang in there"

Please add your comments here - I'm not going to judge you:O)

tabrandt said...

As a homeschooling family and more specifically a Dad who tries to help out with the schooling I have to always remember that my wife and I must be united in the way we communicate with the boys or they will tear me apart. 8-)

I was asked by my oldest the other day why at 12 he can't play 'T' rated games when 'all' of his friends do. After a pause -- I remind him that just be cause other 'do' doesn't make it right. I also discuss with him that we choose to do something differently then the other parents and that is our decision that he doesn't have to agree with but that he must honor as he is the child.

He then reminds me that he will be 13 next week and then there should be no problem with getting the 'T' games. Sigh... I inform him that the games are 'ok' only when mom and I decide that they are 'ok' and that we don't just rely on the rating put on the box. We are open for intelligent discussion about the games content that goes a bit deeper then 'all my friends play it'.

This was not an easy conversation as I really enjoy these games myself although my play time is minimal and normally after kids go to bed.

We think we are following God's plan for raising children but I am sure we miss things now and then with maybe a bit of emphasis on then.

Tomorrow is another day, we try to take one step at a time.