Sunday, September 7, 2008

Common Grounds - Lead with love

“You can’t lead the people, if you don’t love the people. You can’t save the people, if you don’t serve the people.” – Cornel West, professor at Princeton University.

Leadership and service are hot topics in the world today. Teachers, coaches, bosses, church leaders and politicians impact our lives. What do you think makes a strong leader? What qualities and qualifications in a leader inspire you to follow?

Not all of us feel equipped to lead. We all know people who are fearful of stepping forward and taking on responsibility for others. Yet each of us has an opportunity - actually a responsibility - to lead others by the example of our daily life.

My daily life is not always noteworthy. As a wife and a mother I have many responsibilities. Many are mundane. There is nothing glamorous about mopping floors or washing dishes. I have bratty days when I mutter and complain, “why am I the only one who has to wash the floors?” One day in the midst of my pity party, it occurred to me, “I’m the mom.” These were jobs that I had unwittingly accepted when I became a wife and mother. It’s my turn. I can go about my chores grumbling and complaining or I can adopt a cheerful attitude.

One day I was preparing for out-of-town guests, cleaning spots of the house that were long neglected. As I worked to make my house presentable, a strange thought occurred to me. What if I were getting ready for a visit from Jesus? (I feel confident he would not be scrutinizing the crumbs in the crisper drawer.) My attitude was transformed by the notion. My pace picked up as I hummed a tune. I was no longer slaving out of duty; instead, I was serving out of love. My kids may have wondered, “what’s up with mom?” I hope the lesson wasn’t lost.

“Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men,” (Ephesians 6:7).

Have you ever had the doorbell ring with an unexpected guest when you were least prepared? How did you welcome your guest? With apologies and your foot blockading the doorway? Or with graciousness and love?

Mother Teresa tells us, “It does not matter how much we give, but how much love we put into our giving.” Give what you have with love. Your attitude when you give is more important than what you have to share.

This was demonstrated to me a few weeks ago. I was in need and feeling lost and distressed. I found myself, uninvited and unannounced, on my friends’ doorstep. They were still unpacking after a recent move and had a busy day scheduled with chores and errands. They lovingly welcomed me to their house and dropped their lives for an hour to help me in my time of need. Their actions were simple. The love and compassion showed through.

As Jesus professed, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:40).

My friends are shining examples of service and leadership with love. I am inspired by them to reach out to others just as they did to me. Simple acts of kindness can have a big impact.

Leadership opportunities surround us. We may be leaders in business, in school, in church or in our own homes and neighborhoods. I believe that people are inspired to follow when a leader shows both passion and compassion. My father always reminded me that “people don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” If we are looking for a common ground as a basis for a conversation about faith, there is no more universal starting place than love.

Mother Teresa reminds us that “when your heart is large, God’s love will spill over, splashing onto everything you touch and wetting everyone you contact.”


“Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.” (Daniel 12:3)

No comments: